Monday 29 March 2010

March - Red Screes

Summit Height:
2546ft / 776m

What?
Red Screes

When?
27th March

Where?
Lake District - Ambleside

Who?
Just Me!

Well, I started off with Laura, Mel & Nick but... long story... (explained below!)

Why?
On way back from Buttermere last month I bought a Wainwright wall chart, so I wanted to head back to the lakes to tick off a few more Wainwrights!

How?
My March mountain was a lesson in being flexible with mountain plans! We set off in the morning to complete the Fairfield horseshoe which includes a total of 7 summits. After a 2 hour walk, and with the hardest part out the way, we reached the first summit of the day; Low Pike. At this point, one of our party (who had been feeling poorly all day) turned an interesting shade of green, and we all decided the best plan was to walk back to Ambleside. At just 508m, Low Pike fell a little short of my arbitary minimum height for my 'mountain a month', and so I needed to find a mountain I could do on my own, from ambleside, in just a couple of hours (as by this point it was already noon).

I picked Red Screes, and set off straight away, climbing up from Amblesid
e heading North, then down the steep decent to the East (where I was met by the others!). Considering it wasn't the mountain I planned to climb, it turned out to be a very beautiful addition to 'mountain a month'. The view from the summit is stunning, and quite unexpected too!

The next day was national tree climbing day, so we went on a circular walk (which included Loughrigg Fell) and made sure we celebrated by climbing a couple of trees along the way. All in all a great weekend in the Lakes! I will have to do Fairfield some other time!



No comments:

Post a Comment