Thursday 2 June 2011

May - Castle Crag

Summit Height:
Tiny! 290m, the smallest Wainwright

What?
Castle Crag (from Keswick), and 8 other Wainwrights

Where?
Lake District

Another 'Wainwright' trip this month, this time based in Keswick. Nine more Wainwrights to add to my lovely growing collection, which as always I'm listing here on my Wainwright Blog.

My favourite this time round was a tough call, but I've gone with 'Castle Crag' because, despite it being the shortest Wainwright, it probably has the most interesting summit I've seen so far. The collection of rocks in the quarry initially make you feel like you're walking on an alien landscape, and the summit itself is impressive in both view and structure. I was much more impressed by Castle Crag, the shortest Wainwright, then I was by Scafell, the tallest.  It's easy to see why Wainwright gave the Crag it's own seperate entry.



And also...

Avon Gorge

Determined to get the 2011 outdoor trad climbing season off to a start, Seb and I headed for Avon Gorge to complete and challenging and very fun 85m multi-pitch called The Arete/Bob's Climb (VDiff 4a). I don't usually mention individual climbing routes on this blog (I have a lovely brown note-book to write all those in) but the height of this multi-pitch made it a full day exersion thats worth a mention!

No comments:

Post a Comment